Thursday, 8 January 2015

Dear Youtube,

I am a 29 year old woman. The adverts I am getting are ALL about pregnancy. This is so extreme, I consider it sexual harrassment.

This customized media sh*tstorm surrounds every young woman at her computer. From every angle, little messages pop up suggesting that I should be getting pregnant, assuming that I want to, or need help in the process of getting pregnant. NO.

Let's say over an hour or two of watching youtube clips, I will see 20-30 short videos; almost each of these is preceded by adverts for "Clearblue baby test", "Persona fertility management device", etc. These adverts are full of bigoted assumptions on the role of women in society, the life and psychology of young women.

Unlike the women in the adverts, I'm not a housewife (women portrayed having tea with their female friends in the kitchen in the middle of the day).
I don't know if I want to have kids. If I will one day, I probably will do as my own mother did and wait until my career has taken shape. Also I would contemplate getting married first.

As you can see, the adverts you have tailored for me are completely inappropriate. But this is no coincidence; it is happening on a grand scale and it's the bigger picture that disturbs me.

No comments:

Post a Comment